Director: Amy Davis
General Relief provides emergency assistance for the needy and poor in Guthrie County, and refers individuals by helping identify resources available to them. The General Relief office is located at 200 North 5th Street, Guthrie Center, Iowa, and can be reached at (641) 747-2546. Office hours are 8:00-12:00 Monday-Friday. When the courthouse is open, an appointment is required.
General Relief is funded by the county to provide emergency assistance for basic needs to county residents. Call the office, email firstname.lastname@example.org, or CLICK HERE for application. During courthouse closure, applications can be accepted by mail, email, and via the drop box at the east entrance of the courthouse.
Basic needs available:
- Rent / shelter
- Food and provisions
- Medical services (emergency dental extraction or prescriptions)
- Transportation (fuel)
- Burial Assistance
To be eligible for this program, you must meet several criteria, including the following requirements:
- Be a resident of Guthrie County
- Actively seek employment in most cases
- Meet county income guidelines
- Apply for any and all benefits available from federal, state, and local sources
- Program is for emergency needs that cannot be met by other means