County Assessor: Nikki Carrick
The public health of our community is of the utmost importance that is why the Assessor’s Office is currently closed to the public. However, it is important that we maintain a high level of service while keeping staff and customers safe. As always, you may contact our office at 641-747-3319 Monday – Friday. Phones will be answered from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. during the building closure.
We appreciate your patience during this unprecedented time and we thank all of Guthrie County for your continued support.
Assessor Services during COVID-19
• While the building is closed to public, County Assessor staff is available by phone and email
• Applications for credits and exemptions can be found here.
• Applications are being accepted by mail, email, and via the drop box at the east entrance of the Courthouse
• Assessment Notices will be mailed April 1st. This page will be updated if there are changes to the appeal periods. The bottom of the Assessment notice will show the current appeal dates.
*On April 1, 2020, the Iowa Department of Revenue extended the time for filing a formal protest to the Board of Review, to include the period from May 25, 2020 to June 5, 2020. The filing period for the Board of Review formal protest period is now from April 2, 2020 – June 5, 2020. The Board of Review is authorized to remain in session until June 15, 2020. Please see the Director of the Department of Revenue’s order here.
Welcome to the website for the Guthrie County Assessor’s Office. It is our goal to provide information to the public about the duties of the assessor and various services offered by this office. We hope that you find our website to be beneficial and informative. Use the categories on the left to easily search the assessor portion of the Guthrie County web site. Thank you for visiting the site and have a great day.
- Our primary duty is to make sure all real property within our jurisdiction is assessed except where the law provides otherwise. The effective date is January 1 of each year. This includes Residential, Multi-residential, Agricultural, Commercial and Industrial classed properties
- Assess property for tax purposes. We are concerned with value, not taxes.
- Administer most property tax credits and exemptions.
We also maintain a BEACON GIS inventory for the county.
Assessors Conference Board:
The Conference Board serves as the governing board for the office of the Assessor. The county conference board consists of the mayors of all incorporated cities whose property is assessed by the county assessor, one representative from the board of directors of each high school district who is a resident of the county, and members of the county board of supervisors. Conference board guidelines can be found here.
Popular Assessor related links:
Iowa Assessors.com – http://www.iowaassessors.com/
Iowa State Association of Assessors – https://www.iowa-assessors.org/
Iowa State Association of Counties – https://www.iowacounties.org/
Iowa Department of Revenue & Finance – https://tax.iowa.gov/